Monday, November 16, 2009

Puppy Fever

Every now and then, without warning, I come down with Puppy Fever. It's kinda like that whole biological clock thing except, instead of pining for a human baby (*shudder*), I get the urge to cuddle something warm, fluffy and four-legged.

I've always been more of an old dog person. I'm a sucker for a gray muzzle and a lumbering walk. However, working at a dog daycare, I see a lot of puppies, and now and then we'll get one that'll make make me think "Man, if I had a chance to raise that puppy.."

It doesn't help when you see things like this:

That's a pile of four-week-old Border Collie pups that I had a chance to visit. Is there anything cuter than that? No, I don't think so!

But, working at a dog daycare also reminds me just how much work a puppy really is. And then I remember how many dogs are sitting in shelters, waiting for a home, and how many of those are far from their puppy years, and I feel a little guilty about even considering a puppy.

Of course, when it is time for me to get another dog (which won't be for a long, long time, I hope!), it will probably be some gray, wolfish looking mutt. Can't help if that's my type. And if I ever do decide to get a puppy, I'd better be prepared to have two dogs, because I would have to adopt an older dog as well to help me raise it and balance out my karma.

In the meantime, I'm lucky to have the chance to cuddle other people's puppies, then send them home at the end of the day!

1 comment:

  1. mmm....puppy breath; love it, glad to have adult dogs....

    ReplyDelete